Thursday, June 3, 2010

Insulin Confusion


Here's something I don't get: why do all insulin bottles look the same?

Shouldn't the fast-acting have some sort of flag on it so that users don't get it confused with the long-lasting insulin vile?

I mean, really?!

Last week we had an incident where, when it came time for the daily Lantus® dose, 15 units of the fast-acting insulin were injected by mistake. About 20 minutes later, I caught this mistake as I was arranging items in the refrigerator.

After consuming a large glass of apple juice and finding something to munch on to offset this mistake, he proceeded to apologize profusely, since we were going to have to stay up for a couple extra hours to monitor blood sugar (and behavior changes, just in case he dropped quick - that's where I tend to come in handy).

I of course was just happy that we caught this before going to bed - this most certainly would have gone badly in the middle of the night.

But it got me to thinking, how often does this happen? Of those times where we've dealt with 3AM crashes, how many were because of insulin confusion? Did a mistake just like this one cause him to wake with a blood sugar of 29 the next morning (and consider himself lucky that he's still standing)?

I've considered marking the fast-acting insulin bottles with giant red marks, but I don't want to encroach on his routine. For the most part, he's made this work for him over the years, and who am I to insert myself and start mucking things up? But I can't help but want to make things easier, and healthier, for him in the long run.

Anyone experience this situation before? How do you keep the insulin bottles straight as to avoid issues such as this?

No comments:

Post a Comment